The Klamath Village
The Klamath Village volunteer program is a service provided by the Klamath and Lake Counties Council on Aging. The Klamath Village is a centralized, non-profit, volunteer-driven organization that coordinates services to help senior citizens and adults with disabilities remain independent and thriving in their homes and communities. We are promoting and facilitating “Aging in Place” perspective.
The aging population in Klamath County is one of the highest per capita of all Oregon counties. In addition, a large percentage of our seniors are low income and struggle to make ends meet each month.
The Klamath Village is managed database with diversely skilled volunteers and key partnerships to meet the needs of older adults and people with disabilities. Funding is provided through grants, foundations, and independent donors. Staffing and managing The Klamath Village volunteer program is provided by Klamath and Lake Counties Council on Aging. Our volunteer program is geared to help older adults age in place.
The purpose of The Klamath Village
• Reduce trauma and isolation
• Provide maintenance for challenged living situations
• Strengthen connections with the community
• Avoid [often] unaffordable and undesired institutional care
• A means for community members, youth groups, and businesses to give back to their community
Examples of services provided by the Klamath Village
• Information referrals to other service agencies and businesses who offer programs, senior discounts and volunteer services
• Access to transportation services
• Assistance with household tasks such as moving furniture, clearing clutter for improved home safety, housework, yardwork, meal preparation, shopping, support during medical appointments, help with handyman projects, minor home repairs, dog walking, technology assistance, walking outdoors, snow removal, and friendly visitations, reading aloud or playing cards/games, to name a few volunteer services offered
Eventually our Klamath Village website will also have information regarding activities for interested seniors to participate in, a list of businesses and organizations which offer senior citizen discounts, and a calendar of events which seniors and adults with disabilities may be interested in participating in.